[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2662] RE: need for research on women &

From: Daphne Greenberg (alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 17:12:24 EDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2662] RE: need for research on women &

I agree-while many children who are abused or witness abuse, cannot learn, others escape their horrors by learning/studying/reading. There is very little research on this latter group!
Daphne

>>> Elsa.Auerbach@umb.edu 07/24/03 22:25 PM >>>
One area that I'm interested in is the ways in which literacy is a refuge from violence and abuse.  I've had many students over the years who, as children, sat in closets reading while violence was going on around them.  Quite a few  were from working class families where there were not strong academic traditions/cultures and these women became some of the most academically proficient students I'v taught. They used literacy as mechanism for surviving and escaping. I haven't seen much about this in the research. Usually the research focuses on the ways in which violence and abuse are obstacles to learning.  Elsa