[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2657] RE: URGENT REQUEST

From: Jenny Horsman (jhorsman@idirect.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 16:53:43 EDT

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:53:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jenny Horsman" <jhorsman@idirect.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2657] RE: URGENT REQUEST

I know you said to contact you privately Mev but thought I would post
here as I know I am interested to hear from others about courses they
have taught.  Your question sent me to read an old course I wrote to be
delivered by distance education in England - there are changes I would
make now but in 1996 this is what I put together on literacy and gender
as part of a BA degree on informal and community education  (it's posted
on my website www.jennyhorsman.com under articles for anyone who is
curious to take a look).  I would love to hear what other courses on
literacy and women people on this list have developed.

More recently I taught a graduate course called Critical issues in adult
literacy - where I explored discourses of literacy broadly - I didn't
have a separate section on women and literacy - but tried to think about
issues of gender, race and class in relation to every theme - I did
(needless to say for anyone who knows my work though) have a session on
issues of violence and learning......

Here are the course themes I included:

Literacy and Gender (Produced as part of the YMCA George Williams
College BA (Hons) Informal and Community Education programme, 1996.)

- the lack of focus on women in the approaches to adult literacy
programmes and in the literature on literacy
- the learner-centred approach, and the idea that what might benefit
some learners may not benefit others
- studies that have suggested that women learn in particular ways
- family literacy programmes, to see what messages they give to women
about women's roles
- inequalities taken for granted in women's lives and issues of power -
literacy as 'women's duty but not women's right'
- violence in women's lives and its relevance to literacy programming
for women
- literacy teaching as 'women's work' and the significance of this.

Looking forward to reading about the content of other courses - Suzanne
would love to hear what issues you raised about women and literacy....
Jenny