[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2614] A note from Cheryl Keenan

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 16:56:34 EDT

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2614] A note from Cheryl Keenan

FROM: 	Cheryl L. Keenan, Director
		Division of Adult Education and Literacy
		Office of Vocational and Adult Education
		U.S. Department of Education
For your information, please see the Statement below released by Secretary
Rod Page.
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Public Affairs, News Branch
400 Maryland Ave., S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202
FOR RELEASE
May 30, 2003
Jim Bradshaw
(202) 401-1576
STATEMENT BY U.S. SECRETARY OF EDUCATION ROD PAIGE ON THE RESIGNATION OF
ASSISTANT SECRETARY CAROL D'AMICO
U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige today issued the following statement
upon the resignation of Carol D'Amico, assistant secretary for vocational
and adult education. D'Amico announced that she is resigning effective June
30, 2003 to return to her home state of Indiana.
"Carol has done an outstanding job, and I'm sorry to see her leave. She has
been a tireless advocate for updating and strengthening our vocational
education policies by emphasizing greater reading and math skills as a
foundation for all students to compete for work in the 21st century. She has
helped us focus greater attention on promoting excellence in secondary
education -- especially through her efforts with the Center for State
Scholars to encourage states to establish policies and incentives to support
high school students in completing rigorous courses of study and preparing
them for postsecondary education and careers. She has been a wonderful
ambassador for our Department, and we will miss her."
Regarding her resignation, D'Amico said:
"Two years ago, we identified goals that have been met, and now I would like
to return to education at the state and institution level, where I look
forward to making a difference. It has been a tremendous honor and rare
privilege for me to serve in the administration. I am indebted to the
president for allowing me to serve him and our great nation."