[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2517] RE: name of center

From: Suzanne Smythe (smythemu@interchange.ubc.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 12:35:25 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:35:25 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Suzanne Smythe <smythemu@interchange.ubc.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2517] RE: name of center

Daphne wrote: Yes-that is my fear. If we adopt the name lifelong-adult will
eventually be forgotten. What do others think?

I agree with you-the term 'lifelong' is in some ways a catch all term that
can refer to everything and therefore nothing in particular. The term
lifelong learning, as I understand, is becoming increasingly popular as a
replacement term for adult education departments, (e.g. many are becoming
centres for lifelong learning, etc). This is often linked to a shift from
community-based, facilitative approaches to adult education to a human
resource development focus; linking adult education to economic
productivity. Including child learning in the seemingly inclusive term of
lifelong learning makes sense according to this thinking, because of some
research which also regards child's learning as ultimately an issue of
economic productivity.

I wonder if the term "lifelong literacy"  would have the same
effect-implying a shift in philosophy that really does matter if we believe
(and I am one of those who do) that language/terminologies shape our
understanding and practice in the world. So, what about the Centre for the
Study of Adult and Community Literacies or something like that, which
implies a scope broader than just adult/child, but certainly inclusive of
these?

Good luck with this!

Suzanne Smythe
Vancouver, BC