[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2459] RE: weight as an issue

From: SAM MCGRAW III (Samm@seattlegoodwill.org)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 19:00:27 EST

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:00:27 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: SAM MCGRAW III <Samm@seattlegoodwill.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2459] RE: weight as an issue

My two announces,

It has been my experience that in all communities in the US that "thin" is
better than "fat" and that discrimination fallows those lines;

In the African American community - women do not have to be thin but they do
have to be shapely - in other words "a well proportioned hour-glass body" is
the ticket.

I'm concerned that many literacy students buy into things which give them
perceived "status" - such as being thin - and there-by spend precocious
dollars  and risking health doing it;

And I go to the gym four times a week for health and to look thinner - so
where does that leave it??????

Samuel McGraw
Instructor & Librarian
Adult Basic Education Programs

Seattle Goodwill
1400 South Lane Street
Seattle, Washington 98144-2889

Dl: 206 - 860 - 5789
Tl: 206 - 860 - 5791
Fx: 206 - 325 - 9845
samm@seattlegoodwill.org

www.seattlegoodwill.org
www.soundwavesseattle.org

Operating in partnership with the communities of the North Central Puget
Sound, Seattle Goodwill provides quality, effective employment training and
basic education to individuals experiencing significant barriers to economic
opportunity. Together, we change lives!