[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2445] RE: weight as an issue

From: Bertha Mo (bertiemo@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 18:41:29 EST

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:41:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Bertha Mo <bertiemo@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2445] RE: weight as an issue

I am an Asian American medical anthropologist who has
worked and lived in North America and many parts of
the world.  The obsession with thinness is both an
issue of ethnicity and class issue. The adage " you
can never be too thin or too rich runs through North
American society" whatever the ethnic group.  In Asia
today, women from HK to Tokyo to Seoul aspires to the
thinness portrayed on MTV or Cosmo Magazine.

As a teenager, I was admonished by HK relatives that
my heathy Asian American look was a bit too "hefty"
for their taste...

In many countries, pregnant women are told to watch
what they ate so they would not have a big bad which
would make labor difficut...All comments from the same
perspective...

Bertie Mo, Ph.D. MPH

Bertie Mo, Ph.D., MPH