[NIFL-HEALTH:3852] Re: Oral Communication with Low-Literate patients

From: Helen Osborne (helen@healthliteracy.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 17:51:15 EST

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:51:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Helen Osborne" <helen@healthliteracy.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3852] Re: Oral Communication with Low-Literate patients

Thanks! I just read my e-mail and was surprised and delighted to read two
mentions of my work.

In addition to the two books that Linda Caraway mentioned, you might also be
interested in some of my "On Call" articles. While I haven't yet written
specifically about your question -- "Oral Communication with Low-Literate
patients" -- I have many articles about speaking and listening. Recent ones
include:

* "Mind what you say...Speaking and listening to older adults," On Call,
June 2001.
* "Know when to speak and when to listen...Communicating with people who are
anxious or angry," On Call, August 2001.
* "From another point of view... A patient's perspective about health
communication," On Call, March 2002.
* "Narrative power...Using stories in healthcare communication," On Call,
May 2002
* " It's like what you already know... Using analogies to help patients
understand," On Call, January 2003.

You can find the full text of these and other articles on my Health Literacy
Consulting Web site at www.healthliteracy.com and click on "articles." While
you're there -- take a peek and let me know what you think about the new
Website look and logo.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me at helen@healthliteracy.com
~Helen

Helen Osborne M.Ed., OTR/L