Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Are earnings from work by a foreign student taxable for Social Security purposes?
  Are earnings from work by a foreign student taxable for Social Security purposes?

If a student has an F-1, J-1, or M-1 Visa and is  working on campus or by special arrangement with the school, his/her earnings  are generally not covered or taxable for Social Security purposes. Other work generally is covered and taxable. You may want to access the Internal Revenue Services' (IRS) publications 515 and 519 for details about employment taxes payable on the earnings of aliens.

These publications are available on the Internet at:  

IRS is the authority on all tax matters including the collection and refund of Social Security taxes. You can direct your questions to the IRS by:

  • Calling their toll-free telephone number, 1-800-829-1040; or
  • Calling or visiting any local IRS office; or
  • Writing to the national address of the IRS which is: Internal Revenue Service 1111 Constitution Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20024; or
  • Accessing their website at:

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?