The federal youth employment provisions, authorized by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938, also known as the child labor laws, were enacted to ensure that when young people work, the work is safe and does not jeopardize their health, well-being or educational opportunities. These provisions also provide limited exemptions.
Parks (PDF) Provides the youth employment requirements for youth
employment in amusement parks and recreational establishments.
- Cooking and Baking (PDF) Information
concerning cooking and baking activities under the federal youth employment provisions.
Automobiles and Trucks (PDF) General information concerning the
application for the federal provisions for driving motor vehicles.
Driving (PDF) Explains the youth employment requirements for minors
to operate motor vehicles.
- Employing Youth In Restaurants (PDF) Provides general information concerning the application to youth employment in restaurants and quick service establishments.
Jobs (PDF) Answers questions concerning youth employment in agriculture.
- Grocery Stores (PDF) Provides general information concerning youth employment in super markets and grocery stores.
Care (PDF) Information concerning employing young workers in the
health care industry.
- Lifeguards (PDF) Requirements for youth employment under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Occupations (PDF) General information concerning employment
in non-agricultural occupations.
- Power-Driven Balers and Compactors (PDF) General information concerning youth employment as it relates to loading, unloading and operation of scrap paper balers and paper box compactors.
Establishments (PDF) Provides the youth employment
requirements for youth employment in amusement parks
and recreational establishments.
- Roofing and work on or about a roof (PDF) Provides information on the employment of minors in roofing activities and on roofs.
to Employers (PDF) Provides general information
about Wage and Hour Investigations.
- Wood Processing Industries (PDF) Preliminary guidance concerning changes under the FLSA that impact employment of minors exempt from compulsory school attendance laws in businesses where machine process wood products.
- Opinion Letters
- Field Operations Handbook
Applicable Laws and Regulations
- The FLSA Establishes the youth employment provisions for the employment of young workers.
- 29 CFR Part 570 Regulations of the youth employment provisions under the FLSA.