[NIFL-ESL:10447] Re: Freire and adult ESL

From: Laurie Ketzenberg (lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 23:25:20 EDT

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:25:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Laurie Ketzenberg <lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10447] Re: Freire and adult ESL

I used that Digest as the core of an in-service while coordinating a VESL
program a few years ago.  Instructors developed activities based on
students' writings; vocabulary lists were generated, based on students' own
hi/stories and real life experiences;   this gave them a chance to practice
language in a social way that was truly meaningful for everyone.  Teachers
guided them to create books and dialogues that had application in their
lives (job interviews, doctors' appointments) as well as auto/biographies
and other hi/stories.  The content provided a context within which to weave
and ultimately spiral upwards, plenty of grammar practice in a real life
context.  However, classroom focus always remained on the students' themes
and not on language itself.

Joy Peyton and JoAnn Crandall also wrote a useful Digest: Philosophies and
Approaches in Adult ESL Literacy Instruction
(http://www.cal.org/ncle/digests/peyton.htm)

Laurie Ketzenberg
Temple University