[NIFL-ESL:10424] Re: bilingual approach to teach ESOL

From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson (varshna@grandecom.net)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 21:28:26 EDT

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:28:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10424] Re: bilingual approach to teach ESOL

If the class is not linguistically diverse, why not leave it to the teacher
to decide when and how much L1 should make it into the mix? For years, many
of my students thought I spoke Spanish (which I only understand minimally
but I do a great job of faking) but they did not speak Spanish with me
because I think I successfully created an expectation that we would work in
English.  What I offered to them, I think, was an understanding of how
Spanish and English differed.  Since I primarily taught classes made up of
monolingual Spanish speakers, I had the luxury of directly addressing the
trouble spots that Spanish speakers hit when learning English.  It was even
nicer when I had Spanish speakers from different parts of Central and South
America because we could also talk about dialect, differences in intonation
and rhythm, slang, etc.

Knowledge of how the L1 and English differ should, I think, be cultivated by
an ESOL teacher to the extent it is possible.  There are some good resources
(see Cambridge's Handbooks for Language Teachers "Learner English") on this
topic.  At times, I have wished I could speak Spanish because it would have
helped me be a better teacher!  I would hope, however, that a teacher whose
class is linguistically diverse would apply a teaching method that reflects
the needs of all of the students.

Varshna Jackson
Austin, TX