[NIFL-ESL:10230] Re: stats on adult ed

From: Gail Spangenberg (gspangenberg@caalusa.org)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 14:49:20 EDT

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:49:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Gail Spangenberg <gspangenberg@caalusa.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10230] Re: stats on adult ed

Here is a paragraph I just got on this subject from a CAAL colleague.
You would probably do well to contact someone at TESOL.  Good luck.
Gail S

"TESOL certainly knows what the levels are for ESL
instructors -- usually an MA in a specialty field, I think. For ABE/ASE, we
know the requirements for some states. Generally it's a BA plus some special
(brief) pre-service training + 8 hours or more of in-service per year. In
many states it's a K-12 teaching certificate. Few states require a degree or
specialization in adult ed, because so few univiersities offer it. Many
states don't even require a BA in ed of any sort."

--
Gail Spangenberg
President