[NIFL-ESL:10187] Re: poetry & ESOL

From: Melinda Thomsen (mthomsen@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 12:04:01 EST

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:04:01 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Melinda Thomsen" <mthomsen@lagcc.cuny.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10187] Re: poetry & ESOL

Hi Hillary,

My favorite poem is English Flavors  by Laure-Anne Bosselaar.  She's
published two books of poetry in her second (really third) language,
English.  She's an inspiring poet for the students.

Another poem is Langston Hughes' A Dream Deferred.  It is in the
textbook More than a Job and is a nice discussion poem before reading
the story called "Uncle Claudio".

Melinda Thomsen

>>> hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu 3/31/2004 6:05:27 PM >>>
Hi,

I will be repeating a workshop I gave last year called "Successfully
Integrating Poetry in the ESOL/Civics Classroom" and in honor of
National Poetry Month I wanted to query this list again to ask for
suggestions. In particular:

*Do you have a favorite poem that you use in class? What is it?
*How often do you use poetry in your class?
*Do you have any questions about using poetry in your class?

Last year I got some great suggestions for activities and resources
which I was able to incoporate into my materials (crediting those who
contributed). If you're interested in a copy of the handouts I
prepared
you can e-mail me personally at hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu

Hillary Gardner, Instructor
Center for Immigrant Education and Training
La Guardia Community College
29-10 Thomson Avenue, Room C231
Long Island City, NY  11101
718-482-5067