[NIFL-ESL:10042] RE: adult ed ESL requirements

From: Frances Keenan (fkeenan@pbs.org)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 11:38:27 EST

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:38:27 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Frances Keenan" <fkeenan@pbs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10042] RE: adult ed ESL requirements

I think volunteer teaching or tutoring experience with adults should be
a qualification. I do not think we should rely  on academic
qualifications or licensing when academic programs are so few and far
between and licensing/certfication is still so uneven.

Of course, training is important and should be provided to those who
have qualifications. You can learn to teach ESL in a variety of ways!

Fran