[NIFL-ESL:9925] Re: Community Involvement

From: Mona Curtis (MCurtis@tvcc.cc)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 10:11:39 EST

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:11:39 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mona Curtis" <MCurtis@tvcc.cc>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9925] Re: Community Involvement

Sorry,  Didn't mean to send this to the whole group!!

Mona Curtis
ESL Coordinator
Treasure Valley Community College
650 College Blvd.
Ontario, OR 97914
www.tvcc.cc
541-881-8822 x 316
fax 541-881-2747

>>> MCurtis@tvcc.cc 02/18/04 08:02AM >>>
I would be interested in more information.   Actually this is not our population.  We work with adults (mainly some children and young adult<21)  We are also involved in family literacy and concerned with the academic development of children from families which do not speak English in the home.

Mona Curtis
ESL Coordinator
Treasure Valley Community College
650 College Blvd.
Ontario, OR 97914
www.tvcc.cc
541-881-8822 x 316
fax 541-881-2747

>>> julia_kearney@harcourt.com 02/16/04 09:29AM >>>

What about participation in the development of assessments for students
like themselves?  Harcourt Assessment is looking for newcomer ESL students
to participate in three kinds of assessments, all in Spanish:
     Aprenda, an achievement test administered in group settings that is
     being standardized in April and next fall and involves students ages
     kindergarten to twelfth grade
     Wechsler Intelligence Scales for Children en Espanol, an intelligence
     test that is under way now and specifically needs children ages 6-16
     from Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico
     Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentls en Espanol, a speech and
     language development tool for ages 5-21 that begins shortly

I'd be glad to send detailed information to anyone interested in any of
these projects.
Julia Kearney
Sampling Special Projects Coordinator
Harcourt Assessment Inc.
800-233-5686 x 5204
fax 800-727-0807

                    ttweeton@comca
                    st.net               To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    Sent by:              <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
                    nifl-esl@nifl.       cc:
                    gov                  Subject:     [NIFL-ESL:9917] Re: Community
                                          Involvement

                    02/14/2004
                    02:48 PM
                    Please respond
                    to nifl-esl

 I see Susan, I do believe it depends on the population one is serving.As I
stated some of my students don't have the food for their next meal....
Yes I do understand, if one comes already educated, from another
country,their level of need isn't so great.Finding food ( a most basic
necessity if one thinks back to Maslow's hierarchary of needs) is not a
priority so they are able concentrate on higher level issues. I had to
dismiss a student from my class that will be living on the streets.We
couldn't take care of his needs. We also couldn't find a place that could
help him completely, being that he is illegal.....a sad situation..........
Cordially Tanya Tweeton