[NIFL-ESL:9835] RE: Community Involvement

From: Joyce (joyce4648@charter.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 13:01:46 EST

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:01:46 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Joyce <joyce4648@charter.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9835] RE: Community Involvement

Jennifer et al,
    I was able to get people at a library, a church, and a beauty shop
who were willing to have my students do small jobs for about a half hour
to one hour once a week. One person learned how to run a copier and fold
bulletins, collate reports, etc. at a church. Another learned how to put
books away at a library, and the other helped clean items at a beauty
shop. The "jobs" helped their self esteem, their ability to follow
directions and their ability understand English spoken by other people.
Hope these are helpful  ideas.
Joyce
Retired Coordinator of Lutheran Asian Ministry