skip navigational linksDOL Seal - Link to DOL Home Page
Photos representing the workforce - Digital Imagery© copyright 2001 PhotoDisc, Inc.
November 4, 2008    DOL Home > ESA > OWCP > DLHWC > FAQ's   

Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP)

OWCP Administers disability compensation programs that provide benefits for certain workers or dependants who experience work-related injury or illness.
Black Lung Longshore Energy Federal Employees' Comp line graphic

Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation (DLHWC)

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Question: How can I find out whether, as an employer, I'm required to purchase Longshore insurance coverage?

Answer: Longshore coverage can be a complex issue, depending on both the location and the nature of the employee's work. Because the answer depends entirely on the individual specifics of the job in question, it is best to discuss these details with your local District Director to get his or her best advice. Please see the list of district offices at our Longshore website.

2. Question: How can I find out whether my employer has Longshore insurance coverage for me?

Answer: The best way is to ask your employer and discuss your concerns with them. If you would prefer to check with your local Longshore district office staff, please see the list at our Longshore website.

3. Question: What are the benefits available to an injured worker under Longshore?

Answer: Longshore provides a number of benefits to injured workers, including medical care to tend to an injury or illness, weekly indemnity benefits to help support your family during your recovery, payments for certain permanent impairments, and vocational rehabilitation services if you cannot return to your previous employment. For a more detailed description of the benefits available, please see our Longshore website.

4. Question: Where can I get the forms needed to apply for Longshore benefits?

Answer: The most commonly used Longshore forms are available on our website. If the form you want is not listed, please contact the closest district office, whose locations are also listed on the website.

5. Question: Where can I get assistance about my Longshore claim?

Answer: Our district offices are staffed with claims examiners who are experts in the Longshore program, and whose job is to assist you. You can find the list of these offices at our Longshore website.

6. Question: What can I do if my employer refuses to pay my benefits?

Answer: The primary role of the Longshore district offices is to provide dispute resolution assistance to the parties. If you need assistance, please contact the nearest Longshore district office, listed at our Longshore website.

7. Question: When are benefit payments supposed to be made under Longshore?

Answer: Benefits are due within 14 days of the filing of a claim unless the employer or its insurer file a notice of controversy. In such cases the local district office will intervene to help resolve the dispute. If you have neither received your benefits nor a response from the insurance company or employer about your claim, please contact your nearest Longshore district office, listed at our Longshore website.


Phone Numbers