skip navigational linksDOL Seal - Link to DOL Home Page
Photos representing the workforce - Digital Imagery© copyright 2001 PhotoDisc, Inc.
November 4, 2008    DOL Home > ESA > OWCP > DLHWC > DBA Notice to Employees   

Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP)

Printer-Friendly Version

OWCP Administers disability compensation programs that provide benefits for certain workers or dependants who experience work-related injury or illness.
Black Lung Longshore Energy Federal Employees' Comp line graphic

Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation (DLHWC)

DBA Notice to Employees

U.S. Department of Labor
Employment Standards Administration
Office of Workers' Compensation Programs
Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation
Washington, D.C. 20210

Notice to Employees
Working for U.S. Government Contractors Overseas

What You Should Know Before You are Injured

  • The Defense Base Act provides disability compensation, medical treatment, and vocational rehabilitation to workers injured at work and death benefits to survivors when the worker is killed on the job. You need not be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident to obtain these benefits.
  • Ask your employer if you are covered for workers' compensation under the Defense Base Act. If you are not covered under the Defense Base Act, ask under what workers' compensation laws are you covered when you work overseas.
  • Ask your employer for the name, address, and phone number of the person to whom you should report your injury. Write down the information here.
  • Ask your employer for the name, address, and phone number of the insurance company that will handle your workers' compensation claim when you are injured. Write down the information here.

What to do When You are Injured at Work

  1. NOTIFY YOUR EMPLOYER IMMEDIATELY. Notice should be given to the person identified above. If possible, complete Form LS-201, Notice of Injury, available from your employer.
  2. MEDICAL TREATMENT. Request authority from your employer for treatment by the physician you choose. In an emergency or if you are unable to contact your employer, go to the nearest hospital or physician, but be sure to let your employer know as soon as possible.
  3. DISABILITY. If you are disabled more than 3 days, contact your employer or the insurance company indicated above for payment of compensation, payable 14 days after your employer has knowledge of injury.
  4. IMPORTANT! The law requires you to give written notice of injury (Form LS-201) to your employer and to the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP) within 30 days. Additional time may be allowed for certain hearing loss and occupational disease claims. Notice should be sent to the District Director at one of the following addresses:
    1. OWCP/DLHWC, P.O. Box 249, New York, NY 10014-0249, USA, or
      OWCP/DLHWC, 300 Ala Moana, Box 50209, Honolulu, HI 96850, USA
  5. FURTHER ASSISTANCE AND INFORMATION. On request, the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs will explain benefits and proceedings under the Defense Base Act. Its staff will also provide information on medical and vocational services, and will assist in obtaining such benefits. Information is also available online.

Important Notice

Section 31 (a)(1) of the Longshore Act, 33 U.S.C. 931(a)(1), provides as follows: Any claimant or representative of a claimant who knowingly and willfully makes a false statement or representation for the purpose of obtaining a benefit or payment under this Act shall be guilty of a felony, and on conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000, by imprisonment not to exceed five years, or by both.


Phone Numbers