[NIFL-ESL:9630] RE: Evaluation of State Education Programs

From: ttweeton@comcast.net
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 09:04:44 EST

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:04:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: ttweeton@comcast.net
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9630] RE: Evaluation of State Education Programs

2." All Lead Instructors (GED, ABE, ESL, EL/Civics, Health Literacy,
Workplace Literacy) are responsible for doing quarterly evaluations of their
teachers in the classroom."

  I have real some doubts about this method of evaluating teachers. I have seen personalities clash and resentment grow. I have seen lead teachers  chosen because they were friends of Administration and not the most experienced.In our situation it did not work well.

In  Broward  County Florida, teachers are evaluated by the head of the program usually the Principal or the head Administrator. But a more specific way  to evaluate teachers is relied on, and shows  how effective teachers  are to a program, and that is to count the LCP's or the number of  Literacy Completion Points each teacher has during an 18 week period. Completing an LCP which is 80% mastery of a state mandated checklist, for each level is an indicator, I repeat, SOMEWHAT of an indicator of the effectiveness of the teacher. Each student has a portfolio and his work is stored there.  Each work sheet is marked with the specific benchmark of the checklist that was taught. Teachers are expected to pass 10% of their class along to the next level every 18 weeks through mastery of the EXIT tests.

That is the goal. Sometimes the 10%  happens and sometimes it doesn't. But it is what teachers strive for. Each completed LCP means MONEY in the coffers of the program. Since teachers know what is expected of them they do follow the checklists which  prepare the students for the workplace. One can look back on the LCP's and see what teachers are doing. Obviously few LCP's indicate there may be a problem  with that teacher and that is where the Administrators step in.
 Again these benchmarks are reviewed in more sophisticated fashions at the next level benchmarks, so the students  will have been exposed to these same benchmarks several times over as they progress through the sucessive  levels.

Tanya Tweeton
Pre-Literacy Adult Esol,
Broward County, Florida