[NIFL-ESL:9626] RE: Evaluation of State Education Programs-

From: Melinda Thomsen (mthomsen@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 13:43:02 EST

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:43:02 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Melinda Thomsen" <mthomsen@lagcc.cuny.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9626] RE: Evaluation of State Education Programs-

We are looking to implement peer evaluations at our center
and were interested in what tools are available for ESOL
faculty, administrative and support staff. This response from Georgia
is intriguing, would you be able to share the forms or criteria
that the lead teachers use to evaluate the classroom teachers?
Could you share an example of how you evaluate administrative
and support staff?  How are you changing the format for the next
cycle?

Thanks very much,

Melinda Thomsen
Group Leader for Vocational ESOL Instructors
The Center for Immigrant Education and Training
LaGuardia Community College
Long Island City, New York

>>> jplumb@gwinnett.tec.ga.us 11/14/2003 10:23:38 AM >>>
Georgia does. At least, we do at SDA #6, Gwinnett Technical College
Adult
Education Department.
1. Anyone working over 20 hours / week is evaluated. It's called
"Adult
Education Personnel Assessment." Four sets of goals for all department
personnel are established in conjunction with the director:
College Annual and Strategic Goals
DTAE (Dpt of Technical & Adult Ed) Adult Literacy Goals
Gwinnett Technical College Adult Ed. Dpt and GTC Academic Division
Goals
Individual Professional Development Goals
The format is to be changed this year since last year's format did not
adequately reflect progress, change, innovation or exceeding set
goals.

2. All Lead Instructors (GED, ABE, ESL, EL/Civics, Health Literacy,
Workplace Literacy) are responsible for doing quarterly evaluations of
their
teachers in the classroom.
3. Each 10-week quarter, students evaluate their teacher by filling out
questionnaire with space for comments. The teacher is not present when
this
is done.

Judie Plumb
Workplace & Health Literacy Lead Instructor
Gwinnett Technical College
770-962-7580  Ext 340