[NIFL-ESL:9575] Re: Evaluation forms

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 19:31:39 EDT

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:31:39 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9575] Re: Evaluation forms

I think we used many similar questions. As I recall, we had the students get
into small groups with flip chart paper and had them spend some time with
three questions: what do you like about the program? What do you not like
about the program? What's one thing you would like to see changed in the
program?

They had some time for discussion with each other as well as writing time,
and of course they then reported their results to the whole class. Having it
take place in the context of a group, some of whom understand the concept of
feedback and evaluation and others who are learning that concept, helped
make it all work. This was also at the end of the year, when most of them
had learned at least the rudiments of how to do this. We ended up with a lot
of good information that we used to make some changes.

As for a "free" program, we explain at the beginning of the year and remind
them on an ongoing basis that they are getting the equivalent of a
scholarship from the government to do this program. Scholarships aren't just
free gifts; they carry obligations for them to do some work. They need to
take advantage of the opportunity and participate fully (i.e., have good
attendance, do their homework, do their best, etc.) in order to keep their
scholarship, and if they don't we will drop them from the program because we
have a long waiting list of people who want to do this. They seem to respond
well to this, and it also helps us keep it all in perspective -- it's not
unreasonable for us to demand certain things of them.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA