[NIFL-ESL:9497] Re: reading

From: Nicholas and Cynthia Gray (drsgray@mo-net.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 18:00:46 EDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:00:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Nicholas and Cynthia Gray" <drsgray@mo-net.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9497] Re: reading

With Dottie's original message and subsequent variations, I recalled two
illustrations.  One was the teacher's illustration of reading the names on
the tombstones: All you have to know is the beginning and ending letters.
The adult student  knew B and R, so he could find BAUER.  The second is a
quote from Dolch (1951) (Ph.D., University of Illinois), who presents a
simple yet comprehensive description of reading basics for the older
learner: "Letter arrangements are words, symbols for an idea (p. 1). . . .
For the expert reader, reading is imagining, thinking, and feeling about
ideas and thoughts made from past experiences that are suggested by the
perception of printed words.  Reading uses the eyes and printed matter, but
the reading is done by the mind and is a process of the mind (p. 9).  For
the [older] learner, reading is recognizing most of the words, guessing or
working out the others, getting the meaning, and then discussing the meaning
in a class situation. (p. 19)
Grace Christian Center
Dr. Nicholas J. Gray
Dr. Cynthia Ann Gray