[NIFL-ESL:9476] RE: Illiteracy

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 04:36:09 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 04:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Kevin Rocap <krocap@csulb.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9476] RE: Illiteracy

Dear Tanya,

A little late to the party but...

I would humbly submit that values and principles may be able to do more to unite us than languages and customs.  I have many people I associate with whom I cannot communicate with except by virtue of linguistic and cultural mediation of trusted intermediaries or processes (neither I nor they are ghettoized by lack of a common language).  Yet I feel greater connection and unity with such friends and colleagues than I do with many people of a right wing bent whose language I can perfectly well understand. ;-)  Ultimately I have to get along with the right wing types as well, but, of course, that, again, stems out of an adherence to a democratic ethic and a validation of my own and others' common humanity.  Arbitrarily enforcing a common, dominant language seems to me a feeble, unnecessary, ineffective and inevitably hurtful choice of strategy.  Just a thought.

In Peace,
K.

ttweeton wrote:
" What
do you do as an adult with children of your own when you can't pass on the
"family" language?

I have run into this very situation. I cannot communicate with my relatives
in another country in their language. I try so hard to make and keep contact
but there are so many things I want to explain that I really can't.  Tha
language has been entirely lost in my family. entirely.  I am  so saddened
by this situation.

  "How do they converse with the older generations?"
They can't and I can't  either very well.

I "How is culture preserved when the language in which it was born is
silenced? "
This is really a very good  and serious question.

My question to all  of you  is , what should be a uniting factor in any
country?  If language will not unite us and Religion certainly will not
unite us , Food will not unite us,  Customs will not unite us because we all
have our own ,  What will?  What will happen when we begin to misunderstand
one another because we cannot communicate well?   Isn't that already
happening? Should the country try to preserve anything of its culture? What
should it be?  Will we end up living in our own little ghettos, all speaking
our own seperarte languages?   OR,  maybe the real question , instead should
be, What makes a country???
Tanya Tweeton
Adult ESOL
Fort Lauderdale, Florida