[NIFL-ESL:9452] Re: reading question

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 17:06:13 EDT

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:06:13 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9452] Re: reading question

Debra,

It's refreshing to see a change of discussion. There are four levels of
communication and when people express their feelings they are reaching the
highest level of communication but it can be very exhausting. I too need a
break in the discussion. So here are some tips that may or may not help but
I am just glad to change the subject.

Idea #1- TECHNOLOGY-  Do your students have access to computers? Some of the
best resources for the high intermediate/ advanced adult ESL classrooms are
technology-based.

Idea #2- GED PREP- Do your students have their GED? They can actually take
the Spanish GED in order to get a diploma but testing rules are different in
each state. See if your students are interested in getting their GED and
find out your states rules on taking the GED exam. Their may be some hurdles
to overcome such as id or registering in advance and having at least 10
people register for the Spanish GED. etc., but they all have solutions if
worked out in advanced. You could still prepare them in English but some
will feel they can passed the test if it were in Spanish. Although this idea
may not be for everyone, it might motivate a small group that really want a
high school diploma.

Idea #3- THEMATIC UNITS- Use thematic units to guide your lessons, along
with various types of media and realia as story starters for discussions and
writing assignments. Try to incorporate writing and research into the
reading process. Then let students read their own writing aloud to the class
unless their too shy and using their own writing and experiences to
determine the vocabulary to preview.

Idea #4- IDIOMS- Teach and preview idioms and then try to see them use the
idiom correctly. This is always a fun activity.

 Idea #5- READING-Since your students love to read aloud, get as much
reading material as possible and continue to use what works. As long as they
are enjoying reading, they will make progress. Increase the reading level
gradually and when they are ready, go to more silent reading.

What instructional reading level are they currently reading aloud? That is
the level to begin.. Their independent reading level for silent reading
should be easier material than what they are reading aloud.

In selecting books, make sure you have both fiction and non-fiction.
Boys/Men tend to prefer non-fiction like sports, or news, where Girls/ women
tend to like non-fiction.

A general rule of thumb is that if a student has 5 or more errors on one
page then he is trying to read a book that is too hard for him/her. That is
called his frustration level.

Try to get them to read inside and outside the classroom as much as
possible. The more they read, the better reader they will become.. The 10
best ways to improve reading is read, read, read, read, read, read, read,
read, read read.

If they're already excited about reading, then they have had some excellent
teachers motivating them to read. Ask them how they got to be such excellent
readers and who was their teacher.

PS- For a step by step approach to reading try the following websites:
www.scholastic.com
www.readingrockets.org

Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com