[NIFL-ESL:9442] RE: Illiteracy

From: Antje Meissner (antjemeissner@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 11:01:54 EDT

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 11:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Antje Meissner <antjemeissner@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9442] RE: Illiteracy

Tanya,
I like your questions.

I came to this country from Germany three years ago
and worked with immigrants in my country for many
years before. In my mind immigrants are a good mirror
for the "culture" and "idea" of a country, and I
learned an interesting thing from the immigrants I
work with here and there:

In Germany, the "uniting" factor of the country is the
language and the ethnicity. Immigrants often have a
hard time feeling at home, because no matter how hard
they try, if they look differently, dress differently,
eat differently, even if they speak the language, they
will never be fully accepted. So many immigrants move
to Germany to find a job and make some money and keep
dreaming of returning home to their countries one day.

When I came here, I was certain immigrants here would
feel the same way. But the students in my program in
Tallahassee feel very different: They love America,
that is, the "idea" of America. For them America is
not an ethnicity, a language, a place to make some
money in, but it is often the promise of a better
life, a better future for their children, a hope for
counting as an individual and not fall prey to
dictators, wars, famines etc. Now, a lot of these
people work in menial jobs, are exploited, poor and
struggle, but this is their hope and their reason for
being here.

I believe strongly that the "idea" of what a country
wants to be can "unify" that country and mankind as a
whole. A mutual respect for each others struggles, a
helping hand from those who already have a lot to
those are trying to get there, and even though "love"
sounds like a strong word for a German ( for us "like"
is about as emotional as we can be, but after three
years I "americanize" more and more), I think Ken has
a point.

I even believe that this is a lesson Europe has to
learn and maybe maybe maybe .... America could lead?

I hope this makes sense. My written English is often
not that great.
Antje Meissner

=== message truncated ===