[NIFL-ESL:9433] RE: Illiteracy

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 19:43:27 EDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:43:27 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9433] RE: Illiteracy

No, English is *not* the first language, as long as the mother or primary
caregiver speaks another language. Maybe I should say support the home
language. For a baby born in this country, it may be that both languages
could be the first language, home language plus English. Language learning
starts at least at birth, or maybe before, with a lot of input from the
mother or primary caregiver. That's the first language -- the one the child
is surrounded by at home.

I've heard sad stories where very young children simply couldn't understand
what their mothers said. They were cut off from communication with their
mothers at a heartbreakingly young age. This is not what we want.

It is also true that too many children grow up with a rudimentary knowledge
of their first language, and an incomplete knowledge of English. They are
barely bilingual, in a superficial way. Those folks have the same problems
that low-literacy English-speakers everywhere have, with the added burden of
being scorned or teased by their family for their low skills in the first
language.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA