[NIFL-ESL:9363] RE: Accept English Only donation?

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 13:17:17 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:17:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9363] RE: Accept English Only donation?

Theresa & Andres,
I agree with you. There is an underlying message in the English-Only
movement that is pure hatred toward the immigrant. In the South, this is
even more true. This movement is gaining in strength and is just as
dangerous as the propaganda in Germany before Hitler. So far, there have
been no Supreme Court rulings in their favor but there are a lot of
individual states that have English-Only Laws. This is where the battle will
be won or lost. Does anyone know if there are currently any lower federal
courts that are dealing with English-Only Laws? The right for educators to
use Bilingual Education is firmly set in the federal courts but some states
are attacking the Bilingual Education in their states. Make no mistake:
"English-Only Laws anywhere in this country is a threat to Bilingual
Education everywhere!!"
-Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com