[NIFL-ESL:9355] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: ttweeton (ttweeton@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 09:00:33 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ttweeton" <ttweeton@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9355] Re: Accept English Only donation?

           I constantly
           > try to reinforce the idea that an 'American' can speak any
language, be
          > any color, practice any religion. Having lived in monolithic
societies,
          > vive la diference (or somethin' like that)!

Martin, Your  case examples are very true.  However,  consider this fact,
don't you think that the natives of these  country develop resentment
towards the immigrant , who from their point of reference, refuses to learn
the language?  Isn't this the problem?  Resentment towards the immigrant??
I am not sure that it is a wise idea to reinforce the fact that it is ok to
live in ANY country and not find it expedient to learn the language of that
country.  How can these immigrants better themselves without knowing the
native language well??  They can't.  And you are encouraging  them  by your
statements,   to continue to live in their " ghettos"  as Joe calls them and
never advance.

Is the objective of an immigrant to better his lot or is the objective to
continue to live marginally?  Think about what you are saying to them  and
the consequences  of  their feeling that English is not so   important,
since their teacher "said so" and  think about the consequences     FOR OUR
SOCIETY  with this attitude.  The object is not for them to "feel good"
about their situation.  IIt should be to  WANT  to better thems selves.
Encourage   and praise those that do.  Continually reinforce  the advantages
of learning English. This is how I handle it with my students.    I ALWAYS
also add that being bi-lingual is very advantageous for those who are and
live our society.    And I enumerate  just what those advantages are!

Tanya Tweeton
Adult Esol
Lauderhill Community School
 Fort Lauderdale ,Florida