[NIFL-ESL:9343] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: AndresMuro@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 14:42:10 EDT

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:42:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AndresMuro@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9343] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Annie:

"Learning the language of the country in which you live is not a matter of
courtesy, it is a matter of necessity."

What is the language of the country in which we reside? Since there is no official language, it must be the language of your community. So, I would say that it is important to learn that language, but it is not indispensable.

I live in El Paso. there are a lot of bilingual people, but there are a lot of monolingual people that survive just fine by either only speaking English, or only speaking Spanish. Depending on the social class and circumstances, it is easier for some to begin to learn a language than for others. However, thousands get along just fine being monolingual. My step children are monolingual English speakers and I don't get on their cases for not learning the language of the majority. There are many English speakers that try to learn Spanish and many Spanish speakers that try to learn English. however, as they interact with their respective communities in their native languages, they don't have opportunity to practice the other language and they don't acquire it. That often happens to groups that live near a large community with speakers of their native language. Because they don't necessarily interact with speaker of other languages, they get along just fine with their native one.

It is always easier to acquire a second language when you live in a community where the vast majority do not speak your native language. Learning a second language doesn't have anything to do with courtesy, laziness, rudeness or any of the common accusations leveled against immigrants. It has to do with opportunities, time, exposure, resources and other social factors not necessarily associated to personal disposition.

Ultimately, it is always batter to live in an environment where many languages are spoken and where there are opportunities to use and learn them all. The cultural capital available is always greater in such an environment. Policies such as "English only" ultimately favor ignorance. they want to reduce, rather than expand, the cultural capital of a community. It is contradictory to the principles of a pluralist democracy. How about policies like "science only", "classical music only," "hamburgers only," or "whites only."

Andres