[NIFL-ESL:9314] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@epcc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 11:37:01 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:37:01 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <AndresM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9314] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Not only that, but the state of Florida is always importing migrant workers from Mexico and Central America to work in the fields. Most work in places isolated from larger communities, long hours, and have little opportunities to mingle with English speakers or attend ESL classes. When they have children, their children attend school and acquire English in little time and often start forgetting their native language. In fact, it is estimated that it only takes three generations to completely eradicate the native language of immigrants, unless there is a strong effort by the parents to educate their children in the native language. However, parents often want their children to learn English only. In Florida, there are, for example, Mayans, who don't speak Spanish. They are very isolated and cannot communicate with anyone, except for other Mayans. There are virtually no services or classes for them. Their children often become their interpreters. This is true of every single immigrant group.  Throughout the USA there are colonies of immigrants. The first to arrive, if adults, preserve their native language and often, don't learn English, They often get low wage jobs where others from their native country are hired, and they communicate in their native language. Since low wage jobs require minimal skills, and virtually no academic skills, it is often not a requirement to hire English speakers or writers.

Throughout the USA you will find colonies of immigrants that form their own neighborhoods where the elders only speak their native language. their children learn English and often move out of the neighborhoods. Depending on the size of the immigrant group, and the community you will find the language spoken more or less. When immigrants from a particular country establish a community, other immigrant from that country often come to the same community. The older ones don't learn English. This is common everywhere in the word. In countries in Europe and Latin America, people speak the common language of the region, instead of the dominant language of the country. In northern Italy many people speak mostly German. In Switzerland, the Netherlands and Belgium, you will find four or five different language spoken depending on the region. In Argentina, Paraguay and Brasil, people may speak, Spanish, Portuguese or guarani, depending on where you are. In Mexico and central America, people will speak either Spanish or an Indian language. In Louisiana, people will speak English, french or the regional dialect.

In every one of these countries, the elders often speak their native language and little or nothing of their second language. It is the children who acquire the second language if this is a dominant language in a particular region.

Andres

>>> antjemeissner@yahoo.com 08/29/03 08:37AM >>>
Hello,
I am from Florida too. Last time I talked to my
teacher friends in Miami, they had very long waiting
lists for their adult ESOL classes and I heard them
complain about funding cuts by the state, so that they
have to send more and more students away.

<< Welcome to America.
> > Do what u like.
> > We'll give u tax dollar

As a tax paying immigrant, I take offense in this
"poem". And I think you know that you are wrong, or
you would have added some facts that prove your point.

Antje Meissner