[NIFL-ESL:9288] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Laurie Ketzenberg (lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 10:18:14 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:18:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Laurie Ketzenberg <lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9288] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Interesting predicament.  On the one hand, it's tempting to take the money
and run; on the other, it's a slippery slope to do so.  It's unusual for
English Only crusaders to put their money where their vociferous mouths are;
only a tiny percentage of their budgets ever go toward eradicating the
sinister problem of bi- or multilingualism.  The vast majority of funds go
to their PR campaigns.

One suggestion would be for students to investigate the group (as an
exercise).  Financials should be public, as are mission statements, etc.
See what percentage of their budget goes for ESL.  There is no paucity of
newspaper articles at relatively easy reading levels that go into an array
of issues and cases associated with English Only.  Some go into employees
suing employers for their right to speak their native language on the job;
others tell the exact opposite.  And of course, English Only's (or First's)
strong connection to right wing, anti-immigrant forces are well documented
and easy to understand.

That the group approached you with the unabashed intention to use their
donation as a PR stint to push "their" political agenda reminds me of a
slogan on a t-shirt complete w/caps and exclamation points I saw just last
weekend in NJ:  "Welcome to America.  Now SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!"   As ESL
professionals, we know that the bottom line is xenophobia.

Perhaps, after undertaking a class research assignment about English Only,
you and your students could hold your OWN press conference.  Such long term
projects that directly relate to students' lives can hold much meaning and
stimulate all kinds of learning experiences.

Assuming, of course we're not talking about forfeiting gazillions of
dollars. . .

Good luck,
Laurie Ketzenberg

P.S. I have stacks of articles on this stuff, some of which could be
accessible to lower levels.