[NIFL-ESL:9221] Re: writing in esl

From: Quidnunc@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 12:46:50 EDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:46:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Quidnunc@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9221] Re: writing in esl

I agree with the posting, but I think that sometimes it
is a good idea to draw students' attention to the term or
phrase so that the students can get an idea of whether it is
appropriate to use or not.

If we say that all idioms or ethnic-based expressions should
be avoided, the students would really miss out on some
very comon expressions.  Likewise, the students might
not realize that some of these expressions are entangled
in negative stereotypes and hurtful, so it might be worthwhile
to discuss the expressions to demonstrate how different
people interpret these expressions, so the students can
think about appropriate and inappropriate use of language.

These expressions do show up in the media and in literature,
so they are difficult to avoid.  I think discussing the
expressions and the soci-cultural stuff that goes with
them is worthwhile, particularly for intermediate and
advanced level students, since they have the language
ability to express opinions about the nuances of language.

Jane Rosenthal