[NIFL-ESL:9217] Re: writing in esl

From: Janet Isserlis (Janet_Isserlis@brown.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 09:21:03 EDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis@brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9217] Re: writing in esl

I'm also wondering if by 'help' Mona was/is referring to the content
of the writing, e.g. that this is a piece of writing describing a
possibly difficult and/or dangerous situation for the woman -- the
writer, possibly, or someone she knows.

If it were writing given to me, I'd ask the writer to sit down and
tell me the story, and work through its content.  If, indeed, it were
about an abusive situation, I might ask the writer if she is aware of
resources in the community that would be helpful, if she feels that
the woman in the story is safe, etc. etc.

Finally, at some point, I'd walk through the grammar issues with her
and develop exercises, etc, around all of that.

Other ideas?

Janet Isserlis