[NIFL-ESL:9165] Re: hello

From: HthKar@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 04:35:04 EDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: HthKar@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9165] Re: hello

Colleagues
Re French as a lingua Franca: maybe, but we were always told that Latin had been the lingua franca: the top people learned it and therefore could chat to eachother in it. The Normans spoke French which really made English bottom dog.  This was why Chaucer was a bit of a novelty.  They did not think you could do 'Art' with English.    In English they say that words that speak of the animals - which the natives dealt with -are English (eg cow, pig) whereas the words for what you eat, which is what the Normans did, tend to be French beef (boef) mutton (mouton)pork (porc).  But in France you had the Gauls and I'm not sure whether bits of their language exist still. Asterix and all that.  When I was in Brittany years and years ago I was impressed by all the IRA slogans: they seemed to feel a celtic link
Do they have Sainsbury's in France and if so do they sell oatcakes there because you have to live in St ALbans or somewhere to get them in Sainsbury's in this country.
I would be really interested to know how many bullet points they have in the french adult literacy curriculum and whether they have yet developed computerised on line tests of whether French French language learners have achieved the bullet points. Can those of you in France help me out. Alphabetisation do they call it? My French is rusty as can be.
Salut!
Karen