[NIFL-ESL:9161] Re: Esl multilevel class

From: AndresMuro@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 15:38:43 EDT

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:38:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AndresMuro@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9161] Re: Esl multilevel class

Hi Anna, your problem is easy to address. Just divide the class into level appropriate gourps. Say, four groups of five. Give each group an activity and ask the students to work together in each group to do the task. Your role is to walk around the class, make stops in each group and halp them with specific questions that they may have. there are many different things that you can do, but here is one.

Suppose that you don't want to prepare four different lessons, you can use the same information to develop different activities. Suppose that you bring an article from a newspaper into the class. Ask the begining group to look at the first two sentences in the article. Then, ask them to identify two words in the sentence that they do not understand. Limit them to only two words per sentence. Heve them search for the definitions of the selected words in the dictionary. After that, have them guess the meaning of the sentences just by knowing the definition of those two words. If this is too difficult, you can have them start with one sentence, or with three if they finish right away.

The next group, same article, have them read the entire first paragraph, or first two paragraphs, or, whatever. Have them underline the verbs that the can identify and then turn the sentences into the negative or question form.

The next group, ask them to read the first couple of paragraphs, and have them paraphrase each sentence. The more advance group can read the entire article and write a brief counterargument or something of that nature.

You need to keep visiting each group and asssessing their progress, and helping them solve problems. They will also become very efficient themselves at solving their own problems.

With this model, you can get as creative as you want. You can mix advance students with beginning students and have the advance students teach something to the beginning students. You can pair them and have the beginning students tell a story in their native language and the advance student translate the story into English.

Anyways, good luck, send me an email if you need additional help,

Andres

go here: www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html