[NIFL-ESL:8638] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 18:49:09 EST

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:49:09 -0800
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov, Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8638] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

At 03:50 PM 02/24/2003 -0500, Susan Ryan wrote:
>Do we need to get so deep into subject matter to teach the English
>language? My students are just struggling to put the adjactive before the noun!

Obviously, we don't *need* to get so deep into subject matter. But
sometimes it's useful. When people get interested in something that is
meaningful to them, they quit thinking so hard about using the language and
just communicate. I teach computers 1 hour a week, and even though it's all
in English, most of them get it, and enjoy it, and forget that they are
also learning English in the process.

If you can have a discussion of a topic that affects everyone, and if war
isn't it right now, I don't know what is, then sometimes that's fruitful to
meet more than one need, and sometimes more useful than simply to practice
a particular grammar point.

Sure, you need both content and grammar, and how to balance them is part of
the art of teaching.

Sylvan Rainwater  .   Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission / Head Start
Oregon City, OR USA    .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org