[NIFL-ESL:8613] RE: Re: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: Lalyre, Yvonne L (YLalyre@doe.mass.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 17:01:59 EST

From: "Lalyre, Yvonne L" <YLalyre@doe.mass.edu>
To: "'nifl-esl@nifl.gov'" <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8613] RE: Re: War as a cross-cultural issue
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:01:59 -0500
Return-Receipt-To: "Lalyre, Yvonne L" <YLalyre@doe.mass.edu>

America is a continent, not a country.
Yvonne
Mass. DOE.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ujwala Samant [mailto:usamant@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 8:22 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8612] Re: War as a cross-cultural issue

I think there is a spectrum of knowledge of politics, history and geography
amongst students in America. While most know a little bit (or a lot) about
where their ancestors came from, international geography and history are not
things they know very much about. An example, using the first Persian Gulf
war. Students in a (primarily upper classmen and graduate students) class on
cross-cultural psychology at Syracuse University wanted to know "What a
Kuwait was?" when war was declared. They were even more shocked to know that
their country was not helping create or defend a democracy, rather handing a
kingdom back to one of the most spoiled and detested Emirs of the Arab
world, all to keep their petrol prices down. Having lived here (America) for
long periods of time since 1984, I have observed that the one thing that
each conflict that America has been involved in has done for this country as
a whole is, improved a knowledge of world geography.

As far as God Bless America for being the country where a government
sponsored listserv serves as a forum for discussion, please be aware that
this also happens in most of Europe, in Asian countries such as India, etc.
Perhaps we need to brush our own knowledge of the world? Regularly?

regards
Ujwala Samant