[NIFL-ESL:8591] RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: Hillary Gardner (hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 15:33:53 EST

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:33:53 -0500
From: "Hillary Gardner" <hgardner@lagcc.cuny.edu>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8591] RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

There is an interesting lesson on "War and the Military" in a book called "Talk Your Head Off and Write Too" by Brana Rish West and published by Prentice Hall (1997). The lesson consits of vocabulary, 13 discussion questions, and a class survey where students can ask their classmates name/native country/who was your country fighting/when/why were they fighting. I haven't tried this lesson with my students, but I thought it seemed like a potentially interesting and non-judgmental way to put the subject of war into a cross-cultural, historical perspective.

In my adult ESOL/Civics class we recently studied the powers of the president as each student prepared a brief presentation on the life of one of the U.S. presidents. So, while we did not address war in Iraq as a topic, we did discuss the presidential power to make war or treaties, and how some of the honored and famous U.S. presidents led the country during times of war (Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt). In this way we were able to discuss what the current president might think he stands to "gain" by being pro-war.

Hillary Gardner
ESOL/Civics Instructor
English for New Americans
Center for Immigrant Education and Training
La Guardia Community College
Long Island City, New York

>>> lad-oh@etop.org 02/24/03 11:29AM >>>
People see events in terms of their own experiences, and in some cases, in
terms of what they have been taught. I don't know that we can say that any
view point is "right" or "wrong," but we can certainly encourage discussion
to help students understand why other people feel differently about the
situation. I was teaching English in Korea at the time of the Kobe
earthquake, and I was just floored to hear my several of my high-school
girls say that they were happy because many Japanese people died. Even
though they (and probably most members of their families) had no personal
recollection of Japanese occupation, the anti-Japanese sentiment was deeply
engrained in them. When I told a Japanese friend of mine what the girls had
said, she said that she understood their point of view because Japan never
apologized to Korea for the things they had done during the years of
occupation. Nevertheless, I had no regrets about expressing my displeasure
at their joy over such a horrible disaster. I related to them my mother's
experience growing up during the Blitz in WWII London. Although she had
terrible memories of neighbors being killed and living in bomb shelters for
days at a time with no light and little food and water, she did not teach
me to hate German people. She taught me that you cannot blame every person
for the actions of a few, and that's what I tried to communicate to my
Korean students. I hope I at least made them think about why they said what
they did, whether their words expressed their true feelings or just
something they had been taught to feel.

Lorraine Gardner
Academic/Workplace Skills Instructor
Omaha, NE