[NIFL-ESL:9108] NIFL Update

From: Lynda Terrill (lterrill@cal.org)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 11:30:45 EDT

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:30:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lynda Terrill" <lterrill@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9108] NIFL Update

Dear subscribers,

I want to update you about the situation of the NIFL discussion lists. A couple of months ago, in response to their concern about the legality of posting advocacy messages on their server, the National Institute for Literacy briefly put automated filters on all the lists that searched out words that were deemed to include advocacy language.  In addition, some messages were removed from the searchable archives.  The filters were removed at the end of May and NIFL is now in the process of returning removed messages to the active archives.

NIFL staff and NIFL moderators met on May 30 and roughed out a plan that would, I hoped, serve the needs of NIFL -particularly through the WIA reauthorization-and maintain or rebuild the integrity of the lists so that they could serve the needs and goals of the subscribers. For example, I want NIFL-ESL to continue to have discussions that "include such topics as instructional practices, program design, research, and policy." (welcome message from  http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/nifl-esl/about_nifl-esl.html)  At the meeting the moderators shared subscribers' concerns--as well as their own--about what had transpired on the lists. It is important to note that NIFL moderators had not known that the filters were to be put on or that messages were to be removed from the archives. It is, at least partly, through the moderators' efforts that the filters were dropped and that messages are going to be returned to the archives.

As of today, NIFL has not yet acted to publish the updated goals and netiquette that moderators worked on during and after the May 30 meeting. I hope to hear from NIFL soon.  Meanwhile, please feel free to contact me if you have concerns and best wishes for a happy Independence Day weekend.

Lynda Terrill
NIFL-ESL Moderator
Acquisitions and Web Coordinator
National Center for ESL Literacy Education
4646 40th Street NW
Washington DC 20016-1859
tel (202) 362-0700 ext. 243
fax(202) 363-7204