[NIFL-ESL:9063] Re: TESOL standards and EFF

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 12:36:47 EDT

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:36:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9063] Re: TESOL standards and EFF

I was looking at the standards, curriculum, and assessment issue from a K-12
teacher's position. The problem in K-12 may not be the same as with adult
ed. if there are national standards for adult ed. that are adopted by all
states then adult ed. does not have the same problem as K-12. But the
federal government has denied any national standards and has asked the
states to write their own standards. This is where the confusion to address
standards on the national level occurs. It would have been much simplier if
the federal government wrote national standards, a national curriculum,  a
had national assessment tool. If adult ed follows the same path as K-12,
then each state may have different standards, a different curriculum to meet
these standards, and various assessment tools.