[NIFL-ESL:8970] Re: English immersion

From: said (said@ameritech.net)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 15:42:00 EDT

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:42:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "said" <said@ameritech.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8970] Re: English immersion

Regarding this immersion class at the college I'd like to reinforce some of
the other the posters that mentioned that if these are college students or
want to be college students their immediate needs and concerns may not be
"citizenship" themes. I've taught both at the college level and in adult ed
and generally the emphasis in content is different. If these are college
students, or want to be college students, then the focus of the course
should be on "academic" skills like reading and writing about material that
will prepare them to do better in their college classes. What will they have
to be able to do in Composition I? What type of reading will they need to do
in their classes? Will they have to give presentations, take notes, or work
in groups? Field trips might include a visit to the library or work in a
computer lab. Perhaps you were specifically hired to teach a "citizenship"
type class, but if this is just a college general immersion class then I
think the emphasis should be on those things that the students will need in
college. That doesn't mean that other topics couldn't be part of the class
but the focus in my opinion should be on college skills and content. Adult
ed ESL does place more emphasis on daily routine, work, and citizenship
themes. But one thing to remember is that when a teacher changes to a new
situation it may be necessary to reevaluate what the needs of the students
are in that particular situation.

Terry Pruett-Said
ESL teacher
Michigan