[NIFL-ESL:8903] Journalist Query re New York City Programs

From: debbie@citylimits.org
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 15:15:20 EDT

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:15:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: debbie@citylimits.org
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8903] Journalist Query re New York City Programs

Hello,

I'm a writer with City Limits, a monthly magazine in New York City
that deals with local political, social and cultural issues. I'm
interested in doing a story about an ESL program in any of the NYC
boroughs where teachers and students -- possibly or probably in an
ESL-Civics program -- are actively and consciously expanding the
notion of citizenship by engaging with community issues that affect
the students' lives and communities. The other day I was at a City
Council hearing where elderly ESL students came and spoke -- in
English -- to defend a citywide ESL program at senior centers that
has just been defunded. Again, I'm looking for teachers/programs
where this kind of activity is constantly and consciously nurtured.
I'd love to talk to students and teachers who have new things to say
about English learning in the context of expanding the notion of
citizenship.

If anyone here knows people in NYC who'd like to talk to a reporter,
please let me know who they are and how to contact them.

Thanks!
Debbie Nathan
Senior Editor
City Limits
(212) 479-3341

This email has been scanned for known viruses and made safe for viewing by CFXHosting, a leading email and web hosting provider. For more information on an anti-virus email solution, visit http://www.cfxhosting.com/av.cfm