[NIFL-ESL:8798] Re: NIFL-ESL digest 2124

From: Tom Zurinskas (truespel@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 11:21:40 EST

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:21:40 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tom Zurinskas" <truespel@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8798] Re: NIFL-ESL digest 2124

The background of an adult English learner is important.  Perhaps these
groupings work best (assuming no mental of physical impairment).  The
learner ….

Speaks:
1 Another language and No English
2 Another language and Passable English
3. English as first language

Writes:
1 No language
2 Another language non-roman letters
3 Another language with roman letters
4 A little English

Environment:
1 No English speaking family members and none that can assist reading
English
2 Some English speaking family members but none that can assist reading
English
3 Some English speaking family members and some that can assist reading
English
4 All English speaking family members and all can assist reading English

The adult learners could be categories and handled appropriately.  A 111
learner would be handled completely differently than a 346 learner.

Tom Zurinskas

>From: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
>To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8797] NIFL-ESL digest 2124
>Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:42:05 -0500 (EST)
>
>			    NIFL-ESL Digest 2124
>
>Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>   1) Re: ESL jobs
>	by "Susan Ryan" <susanefl@hotmail.com>
>   2) Change Agent query
>	by "Andy Nash" <andy_nash@jsi.com>
>   3) New from NCLE: Reading and Adult English Language Learners
>	by "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
>   4) Re: ESL jobs
>	by Ujwala Samant <usamant@comcast.net>

>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:37:13 -0500
>From: "Susan Ryan" <susanefl@hotmail.com>
>To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
>Subject: Re: ESL jobs
>
>Ujwala- CELTA stands for Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults.
>Certified by Cambridge University, it is the most worldwide recognized
>certificate for teaching English as a Foreign Language abroad. They give
>concentrated summer training in various locations worldwide. I got mine in
>Halifax, Nova Scotia at the language institute there affiliated with
>Dalhousie University. They have their own methodology. I took it for the
>teacher training as I have an undergraduate degree in English
>but a Master's in Library Science, so I had never taught English and it
>was a direct route for me to get qualifications.
>More info. available on the web.
>Susan
>

> >From: Ujwala Samant <usamant@comcast.net>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
> >Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8792] Re: ESL jobs
> >Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 07:34:12 -0500 (EST)
> >
> >Susan,
> >
> >What is a CELTA certificate?
> >regards
> >Ujwala Samant

>------------------------------
>
>Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:20:53 -0500
>From: "Andy Nash" <andy_nash@jsi.com>
>To: <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: Change Agent query
>
>Judie,
>The February 1997 issue of The Change Agent is entitled "Health and
>Literacy" (Issue #4).  You can view or download a copy of the issue by
>clicking the following link:
>http://www.nelrc.org/changeagent/backIssues.htm
>This particular issue cannot be ordered; it's sold out.
>
>Thanks,
>Andy Nash
>NELRC/World Education
>anash@worlded.org
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:16:14 -0500
>From: "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
>To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>, <nifl-workplace@nifl.gov>
>Subject: New from NCLE: Reading and Adult English Language Learners
>

>When a teacher looks out at the students in her reading class, she probably
>has many questions about how best to help her students decode and
>comprehend the written word. For example, she may ask herself: How do
>reading models (bottom-up, top-down, interactive, and learner's internal)
> [...]

Convert English to truespel (USA accent) by copy/pasting at
http://www.foreignword.com/dictionary/truespel/transpel.htm

Truespel is the world’s first phonetic spelling based on English, using no
special symbols, showing syllabic stress, and proposed for all languages.
Also see truespel.com. Write tzurinskas@yahoo.com