[NIFL-ESL:8789] Interested in submitting articles or lessons about housing

From: Angela Orlando (angela_orlando@jsi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 18:19:52 EST

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:19:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Angela Orlando" <angela_orlando@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8789] Interested in submitting articles or lessons about housing

Hi folks,

THE CHANGE AGENT is a 24-page thematic newspaper meant to help adult
literacy teachers (ABE and ESOL) incorporate social justice content into
their curriculum.

As Guest Editor for this edition of the Change Agent, I would like to
invite people on this list to submit lessons, articles, activities,
student writing about topics related to housing. Following are details:

CALL FOR ARTICLES

THEME: Housing

EDUCATORS AND ADULT LEARNERS: We are looking for lessons, activities,
and student writing that reflect on housing's effect on our lives, as
well as how teaching about housing affects our classrooms.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Articles should be no longer than 1,200 words.
All articles must be received by April 15, 2003. All articles are
considered. Final decisions are made by THE CHANGE AGENT Editorial
Board.

Please send material (preferably by email to):
Deborah Schwartz c/o Angela Orlando
World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA 02210

email: aorlando@worlded.org

Some possible QUESTIONS/TOPICS for students and teachers to consider:

What happens when the topic of housing emerges in the classroom? What
activities, resources and approaches have been most successful? Which
literacy skills get tapped into and practiced?

Describe and reflect on your current living situation and on your
housing dreams.

How do you advocate and make change to bring about better housing
conditions?