[NIFL-ESL:8762] RE: NIFL's Policy

From: Tom Smith (smitht@ccv.vsc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 16:09:10 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:09:10 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Tom Smith <smitht@ccv.vsc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8762] RE: NIFL's Policy

Like many of us, I haven't had time to read all the postings and frankly
missed the worst of the exchanges.  Having caught my breath a little, I've
read the last few and have a sense of what went down.

I'm sure a lot of what was said would not be missed, but it looks like much
of what has been debated goes to the heart of our teaching...and why we ARE
teaching.  We are artists and we are social animals who empathize with our
students and, by extension, our brothers and sisters around the globe.  We
are one.

Our students have strong opinions.  As teachers, how can we use those
convictions to promote their language learning?  How can we create learning
environments where they are respected and where there's an unintimidating
sharing of opinions...and feelings?  How through the course of reading,
reflecting, and discussion can we help our students become stronger
critical thinkers and more confident in their ability to express themselves?

That said, how can we as professionals - behind the safety of our computers
- treat each other civilly while being perfectly honest with our thinking.
I had the privilege of serving in the Vermont legislature.  Obviously,
there were people whose opinions were incredibly divergent from mine.  But,
at the same time there were issues where we agreed and needed each other.
The sheer physical closeness demanded courtesy despite disagreements.  I
would hope that we can express ourselves freely yet understand we are a
working community that needs to respect each other.

Tom O. Smith
Bridge Program, Coordinator
Immigrant Scholarship Program, Coordinator
119 Pearl St.
Burlington, VT 05401
phone: (802) 865-4422
fax: (802) 865-3323