[NIFL-ESL:8726] Re: "comprehension"- "production" - pronunciation

From: Richard Russell (richtiger@cableone.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 21:18:46 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:18:46 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Richard Russell" <richtiger@cableone.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8726] Re: "comprehension"- "production" - pronunciation

> 1.  A beginning ESL class usually consists of 15 to 45
> people who know no or very little English.
>      So - what does "work on comprehension" mean in
> this context?

demonstrating by actions--or rather, by reactions--that the student
understands Total Physical Response Commands.

As students build their TPR English vocabulary, which is the basis of simple
stories, they listen to these stories and can--with the help of pictures
(transparencies?) as well as teacher translations if appropriate--understand
the stories well enough to say "true" or "false" as the teacher gives them
true-false statements in English about the story.

They may also indicate comprehension by drawing pictures on a white board
and writing simple one-word ( or even 2 or 3 word)  English answers to
questions after they have silently followed the teacher's reading and
telling of the story. They may even write or speak single English words as
answers to questions such as

Who looked for the book?
Alice
Where did Alice go?
school
Who was Alice's friend?
Mary

If the teacher knows the FL, the students can answer more complicated
English questions in the FL.

When English-language videos are used, students indicate comprehension with
true-false answers, checklists, or fill in the blank with the missing
word--which, of course, indicates aural comprehension and usually indicates
meaning comprehension as well.  (It's hard to do cloze exercises with an
English video if you don't "more or less" understand the meaning of the
video.)

Of course, even I begin working on pronunciation after 3 or 4 weeks.  I'm
just arguing that we shouldn't make it the focus of an ESL course right off
the bat.

By the way, I've never really had to teach 45 students at a time.  In
Colombia, South America, in various community college adult classes, and now
in 3rd and 4th grade ESL elementary school classes, I've usually had 6 to 10
students at a time.  Just good luck, I guess.

Richard Russell
richtiger@cableone.net