[NIFL-ESL:8703] Re: schematic of vowel sounds/explicit teaching of pronunciation

From: Richard Russell (richtiger@cableone.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 07:57:59 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 07:57:59 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Richard Russell" <richtiger@cableone.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8703] Re: schematic of vowel sounds/explicit teaching of pronunciation

> Consonants are graphically depicted as specific
> points of articulation using the same sideview of
> the vocal tract, but you have to remember that
> humans are not really used to thinking in
> specific, explicit ways about how they use the
> internal aspects of their vocal tract. Also, a
> diagram cluttered up with IPA symbols can just
> confuse students.

I just wanted to agree with Charles as regards the relative ineffectiveness
of using mouth schematics to teach pronunciation.  In fact, I'd argue that
very much time spent explicitly teaching pronunciation is probably wasted.
A silent period during which students hear a lot of English, in my
experience, produces better pronunciation among students.  It seems that if
the brain gets used to the new sounds of English by hearing them a lot, the
mouth then cooperates better.

If a true silent period is not "politically" possible, I do believe ESL
teachers should at least de-emphasize speaking at first.

Of course, some rough explicit instruction like "put the tongue against the
teeth and blow" may be useful; but--again--a lot of time spent on
pronunciation is probably counterproductive.

I'm not saying that pronunciation isn't important.  It's the "thing" that
keeps English speakers from easily understanding foreigners.  I just think
that we should go easy on explicit teaching of pronunciation until later.

Richard Russell
richtiger@cableone.net