[NIFL-ESL:8439] Re: Leave no child behind

From: sissy kegley (skegley@us.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 11:13:37 EST

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:13:37 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "sissy kegley" <skegley@us.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8439] Re: Leave no child behind

Good Morning.

With apologies to Lisa Pearce whose desire to keep control over the size
of her Inbox I respect sincerely, I would like to post a commentary
regarding the previous  3 or 4 messages "Re: Leave No Child Behind" to
the list.

(And, in support of Lisa's perspective, folks who are interested in
advocacy- or policy-related issues within our field do have the option
of subscribing to other listservs which provide a forum for vigorous
debate..)

Having said that, the following is also true:

1. one message about funding implications LEADS TO..........
2. ....a second message providing a brief nod of agreement as to that
absurdity which LEADS TO......
3. .....a third message using the term "complaints" to describe the
aforementioned messages.

Did Lisa actually intend to say that this listserv ought to be used for
something closer to instructional issues rather than invoking a
characterization of the first 2 messages as 'complaints'?
I do not know, first of all, Lisa's intentions, and, second of all, the
List Managers can easily refresh about the language around the purpose
of the list.

The exchange, nevertheless, points to something else:
My background and training are as a long-time (20+ years) ESOL for
adults teacher. In the trenches, year in and year out. I love it.
Having drifted to advocacy work along the way, I've developed a working
theory that I'm still working to articulate, but it goes something like
this:
 There are the practitioners, those of us teaching. There are the
theorists, those whose work informs and provides tremendous insight
(frequently, not always) about effective practice. There are the 'policy
wonks' who oversee and monitor (and try to influence) how much power and
resources we will have to do what all of us are trying to do.

Most folks work in one or two of those 3 groups (not me, I'm still
trying to decide where my niche is; although I love keeping up with the
theory-stuff I do not think I have what it takes to be an academic..) I
digress. My constant amazement is the tremendous disconnect between the
three groups. Some of the disconnect is well-discussed...Teachers may
bristle at what the academics come up with, etc.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I see a difference between a "disconnect"
and the lack of cohesion, unity, collaboration which actually
exacerbates the daily challenges we each face. Too bad there is not room
for mutual-appreciation and even bottom-to-top collaboration among the 3
groups. In the bigger picture, an advocate OUGHT to be closely aligned
with what the teachers are doing; the theorists OUGHT to be listening to
what the teachers say; the teachers OUGHT to care what the policy
implications are.

My intention here was to offer observation, but I admit that instead my
language sounds preachy. At any rate, I know the important work I see
being carried out in advocacy every day locally, statewide, nationally
would be tremendously enhanced by increased engagement with those who
are teaching and working with the students every day.

Finally, to those who would question whether I had anything better to do
than clog up the Inboxes, you're right .. I do..

Sissy Kegley
skegley@us.net
301-588-4333