[NIFL-ESL:8425] grant money

From: mev@litwomen.org
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 10:11:36 EST

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:11:36 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "mev@litwomen.org" <mev@litwomen.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8425] grant money

I got this from the Chronicle of Higher Education...
and for my 2 cents -- Conversely, I wonder if ever a grant would be
available for First Nations people to learn the use of their own
languages -- many of which are becoming extinct as elders pass on!

Monday, January 6, 2003

Grants to support language instruction for Native American and Native
Alaskan school children

The U.S. Department of Education is accepting applications for grants
to support programs providing language instruction to children from
Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and Native American
Pacific Islander backgrounds who have limited English proficiency.

*	Who is eligible: entities that operate elementary, secondary, and
postsecondary schools primarily for Native American children, including
Indian tribes; tribally sanctioned educational authorities; Native
Hawaiian or Native American Pacific Islander native-language
educational organizations; elementary schools or secondary schools that
are operated by or with funds from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, or a
consortium of such schools; elementary schools or secondary schools
operated under a contract with or grant from the bureau in consortium
with another such school or a tribal or community organization; and
elementary schools or secondary schools operated by the bureau and an
institution of higher education, in a similar consortium.
*	Deadline for applications: February 14.
*	Total amount to be awarded and number of awards: $4.1-million for
about 20 awards.
*	Amount of individual awards: $175,000 to $300,000.
View the full text of the announcement on the department's Web site.

http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/announcements/2002-4/
123002c.html

Copyright © 2003 by The Chronicle of Higher Education