[NIFL-WOMENLIT:1101] Women in Print Movement

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 15:49:41 EST

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:49:41 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:1101] Women in Print Movement

Charis Books, a local Atlanta feminist bookstore distributes information about the Women in Print Movement and I thought that some of you may be interested in it:
The women-in-print movement, catalyst of independent and feminist thought, is becoming a casualty of corporate capitalism.
-local feminist and independent bookstores are going under.
-independent publishers are going under.
-distributors have less to distribute.
-writers have fewer publishing opportunities.
-We, THE READERS, have less to read.
-internet sales and book chains control the market.  WE ARE AT RISK OF BEING SILENCED AND ISOLATED--TARGETS OF A "KINDER, GENTLER" CENSORSHIP.
THIS IS HOW IT WORKS:
scenario 1: A big chain orders a huge quantity of books to get a big discount.  Being a large corporation, they set the terms of sale and the right of return.  The publisher prints the books to fulfill the order.  When the books don't sell quickly, the chain returns the books, demanding a 100% refund.  The publisher goes bankrupt.  This is what happened to Papier-Mache Press, publisher of "When I am an Old Woman, I shall wear Purple."  Most other presses have been injured by these business practices; they are most damaging to small presses.
scenario 2: A big chain targets a neighborhood and a clientele of an independent bookstore.  They replicate the independent's stock, programs and services.  They cut prices until the independent is out of business, then shrink their stock to the titles acceptable to corporate buyers.  Are you seeing this happening in your town?  It has happened across the country and continues daily.
scenario 3:  You log on.  A book you have been wanting to read is available at a 30% discount just two clicks away.  You say, "Just this once I'll not call my independent bookstore for the book."  Across the nation, thousands more do this.  The "Big Dot Coms" lose millions, but their control over elements of the publishing industry-from writer to press to bookseller to reader-increase exponentially.  What will happen if they have no more competition?
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF INACTION?
Feminist and independent presses are sold or go out of business-the latest casualty is Firebrand Books, publisher of Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For, Dorothy Allison's Trash, Leslie Feinberg's Stone Butch Blues, and Jewelle Gomez's Gilda Stories.
-Big bookstores tell the publishers to publish only big money makers; writers outside of today's mainstream can't get published.
-We had over 120 feminist bookstores in 1995; we have less than 85 now!  The Feminist Bookstore Network is gone, and its newsletter has suspended publication.
-We lose lesbian and feminist connections, community, and culture as it is replaced by canned corporate control.
-In sum, a few big businesses increasingly control what we read; ultimately, our very ability to think critically, our independent thought and spirit are in jeopardy!
WHAT WE CAN (MUST) DO:
-read books by feminists, lesbian, gay, bi, trans people, people of color, and small presses.
-host a reading group or think tank in your home.
-ask universities to buy from independent bookstores.
-write about this threat to newspapers and magazines
-post this flyer at your work, home, or community center
-send it in a mass e-mail
-take it to women's gatherings
-submit it to your local newsletter
-adapt it for any independent bookseller you care about.